Wallbox Pulsar Plus Troubleshooting – common issues and solutions
13th Jan 2021 Danny Morgan
Having some issues with your Wallbox Pulsar Plus? Here are some simple things to check that may solve the problem before contacting Wallbox.
No product is perfect or without its faults and the same goes for electric car charge points. That’s why we’ve created this troubleshooting guide for the Wallbox Pulsar Plus.
Have a look – you never know, you might solve your problem with the simple flick of a switch.
If none of the advice below works then you might need to contact Wallbox by visiting the 'contact us' page on their website and filling out your details on their contact form.
Try this first
Reset the Wallbox Pulsar Plus
It’s a cliché, but it genuinely can work. Sometimes the Wallbox just needs a kick up the backside and the best way to do this is to reset it.
- Power down the Wallbox by switching it off at the mains
- Locate the dedicated circuit breaker (see photos below). This should be where your installer connected the charger’s cabling to your mains supply.
- Switch it off and leave for 10 seconds.
- Now switch back on again
Update the app
The Wallbox app should update automatically if you have it connected to WiFi, but it’s always worth double checking.
Of course, if your problem is that the Wallbox won’t connect to your WiFi then that is a separate issue we will need to tackle.
You can check for updates by:
- Visiting the app store on your device – either the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
Update the firmware
Ocassionally the charger itself will need an update. This is called a "firmware update" and is often used to make improvements or fix issues. You can check and complete a firmware update by following these instructions:
- Open and app and log in
- Select your charge point
- Select the "Settings" cog icon in the top right
- Select "charger info"
- Select "charger version", your app will now begin checking for the latest updates
- If a new update is available, your app will display an option to "install update" which you can tap to begin the installation.
- If your charger is up to date, your app will simply display a "Software is up to date" message
- Your Wallbox will need to be connected to WiFi for the update to be completed
IMPORTANT: In case your smartphone, your charger or both are not connected to the Internet, do not leave this page or close the app, as this will interrupt the update process and might damage your charger.
Wallbox Pulsar Plus – specific issues
If resetting the unit or updating the app has not solved your issue, then try the following.
Charger does not power up
This could mean that there is no current reaching the Wallbox. The circuit breaker could be off or has tripped. Please check the circuit breaker and make sure that it is working and in the correct position.
If the charger still does not power on, contact your installer.
Charging session did not start
There are many causes for this. There could be a fault with the software or unit, but check the following first:
- Is the vehicle scheduled to charge at a later time?
- Is the vehicle completely charged already?
- Is the Wallbox locked? In the Wallbox app, there is a digital lock – check the device is unlocked for charging. The light on the charger should show green if it’s unlocked.
- Does the vehicle itself have an error? Check the vehicle.
- Is the charging plug connected properly? Unplug and reconnect the plug.
- Is the charging plug dirty or damaged? This can prevent a good connection, so check it is in good condition.
- Is there a schedule set on the vehicle itself? Some vehicles have scheduling features built in that can conflict with the charger’s own schedule. Please disable any schedules on the vehicle.
If you’ve checked the above and still experience charging session issues, then please contact Wallbox directly who can remotely diagnose the issue.
If they are unable to, it’s possible they will need to send a replacement Wallbox to resolve the problem.
The vehicle did not charge fully
If the vehicle did not charge fully or to the expected amount, please check the following:
- Do you have a schedule set? If you have a charging schedule set, this will physically limit the amount of time the vehicle will charge for and may not be enough to reach the charging percentage you expected. Try extending the charging schedule. (see video below)
- Is there a limit on the vehicle? Most vehicles allow you to set a charging limit to prevent them charging all the way to 100%. It’s generally recommended to not charge above 80-90% on a daily basis. Check if there’s a limit set on your vehicle.
- Did the circuit breaker trip? Check the circuit breaker to see if it’s in the correct position. If it’s tripped then flip back on. If the problem persists, contact your installer.
The vehicle is charging at low power
If the vehicle is charging at a lower rate or speed than expected, check the following:
- Is the amp rate set to 32A in the Wallbox app? Check your Wallbox app – there is a dial where you can adjust the charging rate. Make sure the dial is “full”.
- Is there a manual limit on the vehicle? Some vehicles allow you to set a charging rate limit, such as 16A. Check inside your vehicle and make sure the setting is at 32A. If you’re unsure where this is, please contact the dealer who can assist.
- Is your vehicle limited to lower rates of charge? Some vehicles, especially plug-in hybrids, are automatically limited to lower rates of charge – for example, 3.6kW instead of 7.4kW. This means even if you have a 7.4kW charger, your vehicle will charge faster than 3.6kW. Check our vehicle guides to see the rate for your vehicle or speak with your dealer.
If you’ve checked the above and the problem still persists, contact your installer.
There is a red error light
This could be a fault with the unit or installation. Try the following:
- Disconnect the charger from the vehicle and turn off the circuit breaker. Wait 10 seconds before turning it back on. If the red error light persists, turn the unit off again and contact your installer.
- The current selector inside the unit may be set to the wrong position. Contact your installer who can investigate further.
- This can also be related to a firmware update. Check the firmware update instructions above to check if an update is available.
The app does not connect via Bluetooth
The Wallbox can connect to your phone app via Bluetooth. It has a range of 10 metres. If this is not working try the following:
- Turn your phone Bluetooth off and on again to see if your phone will connect.
- Make sure you’re within the 10-metre range of the Wallbox. Try moving a little closer or further away.
If this problem persists, please contact Wallbox who can investigate further.
The app does not connect to charger using WiFi
To ensure regular updates and a more stable connection, the Wallbox should be connected to your home WiFi.
If you’re experiencing issues, try the following:
- Has the Wallbox been correctly paired to your home WiFi? Connect to your Wallbox via Bluetooth. Go into settings on the MyWallbox app and try to reconnect to your home WiFi.
- Is your internet working? WiFi can be inconsistent, so using another WiFi enabled device, check that you have a connection and that you can connect to the internet. It may be the internet in your home is down temporarily.
- Try restarting your broadband router – you can usually switch it off on the back of the device or at the mains. Wait 10 seconds and turn it back on. Wait for the router to reset. Once ready, try connecting to the Wallbox again.